• Welcome to SPN.club! Before you start posting, please be aware that this is a "No bullshit" board - meaning, we have a no tolerance policy for treating other members or their opinions with disrespect. If you can't accept other viewpoints, please go elsewhere: what is tolerated on other Supernatural sites does not fly here.

    We are an invitation-only board, which means you will only be able to register if a current member has given you an invite link.

Podcasts

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Can someone explain podcasts to me. Are they mini radio shows or audio books? Do you gave to download each one or can you stream them?
 

Gabriel

I blow
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
224
Location
Naptown
Can someone explain podcasts to me.
Maybe

Are they mini radio shows or audio books?
Kinda. They can be anything. Think of them as youtube without the tube. There have, if I am not mistaken, been podcasts turned into movies and TV shows they have been so good. They can be anything from a debate on current affairs, a lecture about calculus or an modern equivalent of an old time radio program like The Shadow, etc.

Do you gave to download each one or can you stream them?
Both. Either. For instance with iTunes you can automatically download them when a new one is released. Others you can stream. Some you have to pay to subscribe to.

I know a guy that made a 6 figure income a few years back just from charging for his podcasts. Because the topic in which he spoke was in such demand.

@Lucifer may be able to add more insight though.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
So are they free or do you have to pay for them?

Could I just google one and download it onto my phone or laptop and listen like I would a music track or something?
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
I get my podcasts via iTunes or sites. They're free. They're like mini-radio shows really, some of them are educational, some mostly chatter, some (like the ones I obsessively follow) are about politics. ;)

Usually you can either stream or download, I often download because I put them on my ipod and listen as I walk the dog. Sometimes I stream directly via website or iTunes. :)

If you find podcasts you like it's great entertainment.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I like the idea of educational ones, just learning a little thing new everyday, but nothing heavy and hard to understand. I'll have to look around and see what I can find to maybe download onto my phone.
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
I like the idea of educational ones, just learning a little thing new everyday, but nothing heavy and hard to understand. I'll have to look around and see what I can find to maybe download onto my phone.

How Stuff Works have a lot of different fun podcasts. Like Stuff you missed in history class, Stuff you should know and Stuff mom never told you. The older episodes are shorter if you feel like the recent ones (typically 40min) are too long. :)
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I've found that the Open University do podcasts that are fairly short, no more that 10 minutes each and you can do a variety of topics. It looks like you choose a subject and they have a mini course on it with each module being a podcast.
 

Gabriel

I blow
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
224
Location
Naptown
I've found that the Open University do podcasts that are fairly short, no more that 10 minutes each and you can do a variety of topics. It looks like you choose a subject and they have a mini course on it with each module being a podcast.
They aren't that great... if you know nothing of the topic they might be good, but they are kinda 'weak'
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I found an app, that has a bunch of different one on it, so I'll see what I like and go from there, Ted Talks should be interesting though
 

Lucifer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2016
Messages
196
Age
40
I tried the Ted Talks podcast but didn't like it, it was a real disappointment compared to the videos.

Intelligence Squared is quite good though. A lot of interesting debates and stuff.
BBCs "In Our Time" series are great too.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I tried the Ted Talks podcast but didn't like it, it was a real disappointment compared to the videos.

Intelligence Squared is quite good though. A lot of interesting debates and stuff.
BBCs "In Our Time" series are great too.

I looked that Ted Talks ones on the app and I was disappointed, it doesn't have many and they didn't look good.

BBC I knew had radio podcasts, but as I have the radio on a lot I wasn't sure if there was much point in getting them, but I'll check out the bbc website
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
I havent delved into the world of podcasts much, but I do get some from the national radio via itunes.

Dr Karl on triple J (ABC) has a great talk back show, people call in with all sorts of science questions and he answers in a way that anyone can understand. Everything from space junk to poo.

I listen almost every week, its really the only one that grabbed me. I guess also as Dr Karl is a face I grew up with.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Grr went to listen to a podcast at work today, but it wanted to play it over wifi, and there's no wifi at work. I thought I had downloaded it so it wouldn't need internet
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
And 4 years later I still struggle with podcasts! I will occasionally download one to listen to on a long walk, but I find it hard to just listen to them, I think it's the same as audio books, I have to focus too much on them so don't enjoy them. Whereas with music it's something I can listen to in the background
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
I've found that I like podcasts but only if they're less than 30 minutes long.
 

SwanSong

Wayward Weirdo
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
1,151
Location
Oz
Yeah I only hunt down what I have heard snippets of on the radio. I have absolutely no interest in listening to mates having a chat about a show they like or whatever, boring as hell.
So the ones I listen to are mostly structured radio segments, like Bible Foundations or even a sermon from public Christian radio.
 

Death

Horseman
Staff member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Age
39
Location
UK
Well I've still not got into podcasts! I am listening to Fr Mike's Bible in a Year, but that's about it!
 
Top Bottom